Search

Friday, September 30, 2016

One Sentence Stories

I recently saw an old ad for a one-sentence story contest. I've decided to write some sentences myself, without reading any of the contest entries first. 

A story needs a twist. Otherwise, it's just a list of events. Making a meaningful story, with a twist, in one sentence sounds daunting. To make it a little easier for myself, I've decided that a twist can be either a story with an unexpected ending, or one that ends with more than one interpretation. Also, creative punctuation is allowed.

Here's a few, with more to come as my brain figures out the twists:

Surprising even himself, Grandpa handed the reins to the grain elevator man, “See that the team gets home, will ya Hank,” and he walked out of town, toward his seventeen-year-old adult life, and me.
I came to on the ICU floor; the doctor said it was my blood pressure, but I knew it was my heart.
Stowing the last of the dishes from her baby's post-wedding brunch, she sighed satisfactorily, the job is finished.
Mom and Dad bickered in the hallway while I sat in the classroom, alone; Special Person's Day is everyday at my house.
Give it a try! Post a one-sentence story.





No comments:

Post a Comment