Search

Friday, September 23, 2016

Where to start



In writing a novel, there are all kinds of things to think about:

Title
Image result for free clipart womenPlot
Characters
Setting
Voice
Why?
Who cares?

I know that.

But honestly, it never occurred to me that deciding my name would require so many mental gyrations.

When I started my consulting business, I named it after myself, M. Kathleen Joyce & Associates (www.mkjoyceassociates.com). The company name is unique, but M. Kathleen Joyces live all over America. Most of them are doctors. (Who knew I'd rate as an underachiever just because of my name!)

So, I decided that my writing name will be Kathy Joyce. That's what people normally call me. (Except in second grade, inhabited by seven, yes seven, Kathys, so the teacher called me Mary Kay.)

Well, guess what? Those early Joyces must have been very prolific, and I'm not talking about writing. Kathy Joyces abound, several with published books.

Do I change my name? Write under a pseudonym?

Nope. It's just me. Kathy Joyce. When my books are published, you'll have to pay careful attention that you're buying the right one. If you don't, I'm sure the other Kathy Joyces have great books too.




No comments:

Post a Comment